These steps provide and essential guide to reinforcing cybersecurity during COVID-19, ensuring that businesses and their employees are protected while working remotely.
1. Only use devices approved by your organisation
2. Use the virtual private network (VPN) when accessing files with sensitive information
3. Never click on links in emails and always verify the request with your employer before clicking
4. Beware of coronavirus-themed phishing emails
5. Guard your devices
6. Create strong passwords
7. Don't share passwords online or via text or instant message
8. Use two-factor authentication
9. Update your devices’ operating system, web browser, applications and antivirus software solution
10. When in doubt, contact your organisation, or your ICT service provider's helpdesk
11. Don't forget about securing video conferencing solutions
Just as everyone is responsible for helping to prevent the spread of the coronavirus by changing their behaviour; everyone is also accountable – as cyber citizens – to ensure that we protect ourselves and our companies from the ever-growing security risks posed by COVID-19. Hackers do not discriminate and are making use of this pandemic for financial gain. It is important that we all remain cautious and follow the guidelines to mitigate all of these risks.
Click here to access the full 11 step guide to reinforce secure behaviour under COVID-19 conditions to help protect your people, your data, your information assets and your company by changing behaviour today and beyond 2020.